The new Waymo CEO, John Krafcik, sums up the name and the mission in his blog post on Medium:
Today, we're taking our next big step by becoming Waymo, a new Alphabet business. Waymo stands for a new way forward in mobility. We're a self-driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to move around.
He then gives an idea of their future plans:
Our next step as Waymo will be to let people use our vehicles to do everyday things like run errands, commute to work, or get safely home after a night on the town.
The Waymo fleet of vehicles currently includes 24 Lexus SUVs, 34 of the small two-seater prototype 'bug' vehicles, and there is a collaboration with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles for 100 Pacifica Hybrid minivans. The first sightings of these Pacifica have already been made.
There are no details about where Waymo might deploy their vehicles as a pilot project, but of their existing test sites, Austin, Texas might be the most likely candidate as the climate and the traffic conditions are more favorable than the other locations where they have been operating in Mountain View, Phoenix, Arizona, and Kirkland, Washington.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades